Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Recharged.....


Hahahahahaah, I'm so hilarious. The blog title is funny because 1. I'm actually feeling better after my short bout with addiction. And 2. because I'm currently in possession of/hooked up to my TENS unit. What's a TENS unit? Good question, readers. According to wikipedia, a TENS unit is a Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation Unit and works by "activation of opioid receptors in the central nervous system". Of course, wikipedia also says "TENS units are used by the BDSM community for erotic play involving electrical stimulation." So take that with a grain of salt. Yikes. Anywho, today is day 1 of using the TENS unit. It's bizarre. You know how when your foot falls asleep for like, a REALLY long time, and then it wakes up and it's THE WORST FREAKING PINS AND NEEDLES EVER!? Yeah, it's like that, for 4 hours at a time. Then I get a one hour break. Let me clarify. I am not complaining. It is a better sensation than pain. However, it is WEIRD. And will require some getting used to. Also, I don't think I can walk through the rain anymore. So those electrodes stick to my leg and foot and the wires attach to a small battery pack that I can clip on my pants. If I run the wires under my pants, you can't even see that I'm wearing it. I also had some ultrasound therapy done at PT this morning. It didn't really feel like anything. I thought it was supposed to get warm but it didn't. Speaking of PT, this morning was my first land therapy session. I didn't do much because of the TENS unit explanation and the ultrasound, but I did do a warm up on a bike and a short stretch. Then a little bit of strength and a bunch of balance work. I was SERIOUSLY impressed with my ability to balance. And on an even more positive note, whether it's from the TENS or the ultrasound, there's been no pain today. Just weirdness. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment