Saturday, March 6, 2010

Back to Work

Literally and figuratively. The doctor said to take 6-8 weeks off of work, and seeing as how 1) I'd only been at my job 1.5 years, and 2) I had no idea what I was getting myself into, I chose to take 6 weeks off. So I went back to work the Monday after 4th of July weekend. The first day was nerve wracking. Would I even remember how to do my job? Did they mess everything up without me? Did they figure out that work is better without me there? It was exactly like your first day back at school after summer vacation. I tentatively explained things to my boss, who had kindly asked me in an email 3 days after surgery if "I was walking yet". To this day I don't think he thinks there is anything wrong with me. But anyway, it seemed like everyone was happy to have me back. And I was happy to be out of the house and "normal" again. Except that I was exhausted. Now, I was very careful not to turn nocturnal with all my time off, but there's really no comparing staying home all day to rest with being at work 8 hours a day. The week was EXHAUSTING, and I tried to sit as much as possible. It made me feel pretty crappy to be back in the laboratory, and still pawning off work on the people who had covered for me for a month and a half. They were all so good about it, but it just doesn't sit well with me to need that much help. That's kind of the story of my life in this blog. I resent needing so much help. I'm a horrible person! Whatever! :) So in the midst of all this back to work stuff, I am also starting physical therapy again. I got the same two girls as the first time, and we jumped (LOL, that's hilarious!) right back into it. My philosophy on physical therapy is that I had ONE opportunity to rehab my ankle, and if I slacked off, I would probably regret it the rest of my life. So I did everything they asked.....again. And I dealt with the pain as best I could. I was so excited at this point, because I had dealt with this situation for 6 whole months. Six months of chronic pain, doctors who didn't listen to me, surgeries that terrify professional football players, all while trying to live my life. And if you do everything right, and you play by the book, everything works out perfectly, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment